Chautauqua Park in Oakland is the home to the Pottawattamie County Freedom Rock, #57 on the Iowa Freedom Rock Tour. The 82 ton Freedom Rock was moved to Oakland in April 2015, painted by Ray "Bubba" Sorensen in March 2017 and dedicated on July 4, 2017. Find out more about The Freedom Rock and Freedom Rock Tour at www.thefreedomrock.com
- Pictured on the rock are four veterans:
- Sgt. Brent Maher of Honey Creek, Iowa, was killed by an improvised explosive devide while serving in Afghanistan with the Iowa Army National Guard.
- John S. McCain Jr., born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, served in conflicts from the 1940s through 1970s, including as the commander of the U.S. Pacific Command. He achieved Admiral in the Navy. McCain was the father of Sen. John McCain III of Arizona.
- Major General Arnold W. Jacobsen of Walnut, Iowa, served as commanding officer of the Marine Corps Supply Depots during World War II.
- General Frank F. Everest of Council Bluffs, Iowa, served as commander of U.S. Air Forces in Europe and commander of the Tactical Air Command.